Thursday 26 May 2011

Come on Baby Feel the Breeze ~

Someone get out the defribulator cos I'm about to pass out.

I discovered today that Ben Barnes was quite the competent vocalist. It was a shock to my system I can tell you.

Excuse me whilst I recover from this - he's just - disgustingly perfect.

This morning (before this great shock) I sat in bed for a while looking at a book about the Solar System. I like the heavens. So glorious and unreachable yet we are still a part of them. My favourite part of the book is about star constellations. It tells you where the constellations can be found in the night sky and how to find them and also the story behind it.

Most of the stars were named by Ancient Greeks or Romans or whatever, so loads of them have a huge epic story to go along with the sheer beauty.

Anyway, my new favourite constellation is Cygnus the Swan. At first I noticed it because it was one of the few groups of stars that actually looked like what it was supposed to be (no matter how much I love Ursa Major I can never see how in heaven it resembles a great bear). It was from this that I discovered the story behind the stars - it's totally sweet!

So there was this really sexy musician guy called Orpheus who was completely in love with his girlfriend Eurydice, but unfortunately on their wedding day she had an accident. In a nutshell, she was chased by a Satyr and fell into a nest of vipers and was bitten on the heel and died from blood poisoning.

Of course Orpheus was devastated about this and decided to go to the Underworld to get her back. He used his pro music skills to calm Hades, King of the Underworld and Persephone the Queen (who Hades isn't married to, he just stole her) and they give dearest Orpheus the chance to have his Eurydice back.

On one condition.

That he doesn't look at her until they are both back on the surface once more.

This is Greek Mythology of course so you can imagine what happens next. The poor Orpheus gets on the the surface first and forgetting that they BOTH have to be out of the underworld he turns around to look at his wife who then disappears to be lost forever.

Orpheus is obviously very sad about this occurrence and refuses to look at another woman for the rest of his life (though mythology does state that he didn't mind looking at young boys, which is disgusting so I just ignore that bit).

Anyway this irritates other women because he is like hot shizz and they all want him badly. So one day loads of women gang up on him and basically scratch him to death. Which is ironic really because as he dies he becomes reunited with his long lost wife once more.

Now, where does the swan come into it?

Well, there is also another ending, which goes like this -

As soon as Orpheus dies his body transforms into a Swan and is placed in the nights sky next to his beloved Lyre (his musical instrument).

I kind of like the second ending best. I'd much rather die and be placed in the heavens with my music than die and go to the underworld and be with my long dead wife.

So yes, that is the story of Cygnus - obviously many translations and interpretations of the story may vary.

Like it?

What else have I been doing today? Well I have been INTENDING to hoover the entire house, but I was totally put off that thought when I discovered that the ipod was no where to be found. It's so hard to hoover when there's no music to drowned out the 'HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO' sound.

But I will still do it, because I promised myself I would.

I bought Tangled and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader on DVD a few days ago *guilty*

I love both films, they are lush. They are so lush they lush my socks off and that's a really big feat because my socks are TIGHT.

Did you know that there is a fish called the mahi-mahi from the Coryphaenidae family closely related to the dolphinfish?

I know this because there is a star constellation called the dolphinfish. Sailors used to like seeing it because these particular fish are very friendly and playful and like to jump out of the water (allthough they are actually fish and not even remotely related to the friendly sea mammals we call dolphins). Good Omens and all that shizzle, Sailors are so superstitious.

Ah now my dog has snuggled next to me on the sofa and I don't want to move, what a darling he is.

I really want to watch Killing Bono.

Can't imagine why I want to watch it though *cough*



:D

Have a nice day me gorgeous lovelies,

Min

No comments:

Post a Comment